8 Best Eyeglass Frames For Older Women
First of all, let’s start with this: just because a woman is older, doesn’t mean that she can’t be stylish and fashionable. Mature women always have an aura of sophistication & grace to them. If they pair those with a pair of stylish eyeglass frames, voila - a perfect combination! The question now is how to find a perfect pair of eyeglass frames and it's easier than you would think. Here you can read a couple of tips and recommendations on finding the right pair for you.
Before You Buy: 5 Things To Consider When Buying Eyeglass Frames
1. Purpose If you have been wearing glasses for health purposes most of your life, chances are you will need bifocal glasses. Glasses for every vision problem are available in many different frame styles - from rimless to solid framed. If you intend to wear eyeglasses as an accessory only, then you can still find many stylish options in designer eyeglass frames. But first, you must identify your purpose.
2. Size Delicate frames – not too small nor too large are perfect for older women. Always choose your frame size according to the shape of your face. Square frames may look good only on some face types. However, round or oval frames look fabulous on most of the face types.
3. Color When you’re choosing eyeglass frames as an older women, color selection is key. Neutral colors like blue, beige, brown, and gray are decent and stylish – but don’t overdo it with blues and grays. They are usually ‘colder’ than other colors and their subdued hues can make you look less fun and youthful than you are. If your goal is to look younger, it’s best to try frames that are more bright, passionate, and warm. Black eyeglass frames are undoubtedly always sleek and stylish, no matter the type of frame. Transparent frames might be another perfect choice for you, if you prefer not to call attention to your frames. They go with almost any outfit and can draw attention away from the fact that you are wearing glasses.
4. Material If you wear glasses for a longer time, you know that they should be extremely lightweight and should offer maximum comfort. Rimless frames with fiber glasses are extremely lightweight and durable. Metal frames look great with their elegance and unbeatable style, but they are heavier than most frames.
5. Face Shape Another important factor when choosing eyeglass frames is the shape of your face. What does this exactly mean? Well, there are several different face shapes and knowing them will point you in the right direction for face-flattering eyewear that fits you perfectly. Round face is defined by a circular shape where the width and length are almost equal. Oval faces have balanced features and a chin slightly narrower than the forehead, heart-shaped face is defined by a broader forehead and a narrower jawline and chin. And finally, square face shape has strong, well defined angles in the forehead, jawline and cheeks.
8 Best Eyeglass Frames
Dolce & Gabbana 0DG3310 eyeglasses have a Cat-Eye style frame with metal detailed arms. A rounded profile and highly polished acetate enhance the feminine design of these glasses. The perfect fit is ensured by the adjustable temples initialed with the new D&G logo plaque.
Face Shape For Cat-Eye Glass Frames
Cat-Eye glasses work best with diamond shaped faces. Diamond faces usually have a narrower forehead & chin, and since Cat-Eye glasses are wide, they work perfectly together. You should also know that Cat-Eye glasses will draw your face upwards and will make you look younger. They are literally the glasses that exude youth and help make you look younger.
Pros & Cons
✓ Feminine ☓ Only works for certain face shapes
These eyeglasses frames are timeless, sophisticated, and a fashion statement piece - you can never go wrong with them.
Shop cat-eye glasses
The rimless glasses frames are one of those cool glasses styles that you can’t go wrong with. They have a unique way of bringing light to your face and complimenting your facial features. If you are, as mentioned above, someone who is not yet completely comfortable with the fact that you are wearing glasses – this frame-less style will draw attention away from the fact that you are wearing glasses. There are no restrictions with lens size and shape when buying rimless glasses. Rimless glasses offer an endless choice of lens shapes, from perfectly round to rectangle shapes.
Here we recommend you to the Rimless Eyeglasses which are lightweight, made with a rounded lenses, and compression mounted on to stainless steel frame. You can choose from a variety of colors to suit your style for your perfect look.
Face Shape For Rimless Eyeglass Frames
Square and rectangular rimless frames go best with oval and round faces because they flatten the features and balance the face.
Pros & Cons
✓ Less noticeable ☓ Can be more expensive
✓ No lens restrictions
Rimless eyeglass frames are perfect if you prefer to not draw attention to the glasses you're wearing. They are perfect because they look like you have no eyeglasses on your face. Also, they are light and fashionable
Shop rimless glasses
3. Horn-Rimmed Eyeglasses
The Horn-Rimmed glasses have been a best seller in women’s eyewear for a while now and their popularity shows no sign of slowing down. Horn-Rimmed eyeglass frames are painted in beautiful nuances of honey, yellow, and wood brown, among others, and offer a style that will complement your facial features. They look good on almost every face shape – round, square, oval, or heart. As far as eyeglasses frames for women go, there is nothing more attractive than a pair of Horn-Rimmed glasses.
Burberry 0BE2289 eyeglasses are perfect for women who are looking for classic design with a touch of modern accents. Made from acetate, these glasses are very light and exceptionally sturdy. Design elements such as ergonomically sculpted nose pads provide unmatched comfort.
Face Shape For Horn-Rimmed Eyeglass Frames
With excellent color choices, you only have to consider the shape of your frames. Try using shapes that are opposite to that of your own face and you will shine.
Pros & Cons
✓ Good with every face shape ☓ More expensive
✓ Complements facial features
Horn-Rimmed eyeglass frames never go out of the style. They are classic and modern at the same time
Shop horn-rimmed glasses
Round women’s eyeglasses are currently among the hottest trends in women’s fashion. They are appropriate for all occasions - from a party to a day at the office. The round glasses silhouette often comes made in high-quality acetate or metal.
Ray-Ban 0RX6378 with a Metal Frame is well put together in a full rim design. The round lenses are designed to function with these eyeglass frames to be noticeable and trendy. Upgrade your style with a choice of fantastic colored convenient temple tips.
Face Shape for Round Eyeglass Frames
Ladies with square shaped faces should opt for the round or oval glasses because it will soften their features. The roundness of the frame will come in contrast with the angular features guaranteeing you a beautiful result.
Pros & Cons
✓ Multifunctional ☓ Not for every face shape
Round frames have been around for a long time, but are just now receiving the much deserved recognition.
Shop round eyeglasses
Geek eyeglass frames, though a fairly new style, have become a symbol of wearing trendy frames without prescription lenses. Often called nerd glasses, they tend to make you look like cute, attractive, and nerdy. These stylish glasses can obviously be used for reading or distance, but foremost, they are a fashion accessory. The slightly over-sized acetate frames, that so often come in black, you need for your smart-office wardrobes and to help you emulate the geek chic look.
Guess GU2591 frames are made of the highest quality materials blending sleek styles with sexy trend setting design. The sophisticated Guess frames are influenced by European design as their roots are in the south of France. They provide you the perfect accessory that brings an adventurous style to your everyday look.
Face Shape For Geek/Hipster Eyeglass Frames
Hipster glasses are most time round, square or rectangular so they should contrast with your face shape. Women with round or oval faces should go for frames that are wider than the face because the frame will add more balance to the circular features.
Pros & Cons
✓ Can be fitted to all the prescriptions, lenses, and lens options ☓ Not everyone can pull off nerd-chic
✓ Can make you look younger
The right pair of geek eyeglass frames can completely change your appearance and make you look years younger. Nothing can make you look more sophisticated than a pair of solid, chunky glasses. Nerdy glasses are like an emerging new force that has taken the fashion industry by storm. Geek eyeglasses, with their singular features, have literally conquered the eyewear world.
Shop hipster glasses
6. Browline Eyeglasses
The Browline glasses have been gaining popularity along the year and have emerged as one of best-selling women’s glasses frames. The heavy brow bar suggests seriousness, and for this reason, is the preferred eyewear of professional women. Black is usually the preferred color for these straight brow glasses which makes matching them with outfits a pretty easy task. The straight Browline styles are almost always made from high-quality acetate rather than metal. The glasses have thick frames which account for their safety and overall resistance so you don’t have to worry about breaking them.
The Coach 0HC6098 is a classic Browline frame with lean arms and bold, semi-rimless frame. This is a true, iconic Ray-Ban piece leaving its mark in your everyday life and at every event. The lightweight structure gives the best feeling of comfort so you almost forget you are even wearing them and that is why we recommend the Coach 0HC6098 eyeglasses.
Face Shape For Browline Eyeglass Frames
The best type of faces for this style are oval and round with a big forehead that can support this frame.
Pros & Cons
✓ Safe ☓ A bit pricier
✓ Made of high quality materials
These eyeglass frames are perfect for the serious businesswoman, who carries an air of seriousness and sophistication with them where ever they go.
Shop browline glasses
7. Vintage Eyeglasses
If you prefer retro style with a twist of modern design, then vintage inspired glasses are perfect for you. Vintage eyeglass frames with shapes such as the Cat-Eye or the square lens can be a wonderful addition to your wardrobe. If you are looking for something more feminine, choose one of the best women’s eyeglasses styles – the vintage Cat-Eye frame.
If you are looking for the vintage Cat-Eye frame, then Dolce & Gabbana 0DG6113 would work perfectly for you. They feature a large acetate frame and metal temples decorated with flower motifs. Thanks to the adjustable back temples, they ensure a perfect fit. The glasses are perfect for special & formal occasions.
Face Shape For Vintage Eyeglass Frames
Ladies should choose their frame type in regards to its shape and compatibility with the face.
Pros & Cons
✓ Fashionable ☓ Not for every face shape
✓ Act as an accessory
✓ Perfect for all occasions
Vintage eyeglass frames are for bold, interesting women who love both retro and modern at the same time.
Shop vintage glasses
8. Oversized Eyeglasses
Oversized glasses are among the best women’s glasses because they are interesting and engaging, a sort of an invitation to start a conversation. Oversized glasses come in all shapes and are not limited to a single particular style. Depending on your face shape, you could go with square, round, oval or whatever else works. Most big frame glasses are made from high-quality acetate, but round oversized metal frames are also popular.
Chloe CE2138 oversized frames have an artsy style and will be sure to help you show off your personality. Incorporate a bit of feminine charm into your everyday look with Chloé frames – you won’t regret it!
Face Shape For Oversized Eyeglass Frames
The ideal face for oversized glasses is the oval or plump face. They also work for round faces as long as the oversized glasses silhouette is the opposite – square or rectangular.
Pros and Cons
✓ Fashionable ☓ Not always a good fit for older ladies
Big eyeglass frames are super popular nowadays, if this is something that you think would look good on you, why not, give it a try!
Shop oversized glasses
Choosing Your Eyeglass Frames
1. Your Personality
That’s right, your eyeglass frames can perfectly reflect your personality. You can have a pair of glasses that match your fun-loving side on the weekends and a pair that emphasizes your get down to business tone during the week.
2. Your Lifestyle You have a lifestyle that encompasses a number of different activities, interests and personality traits? Yes, there are eyeglass frames for every lifestyle. Whether you’re a businesswoman, a grandma, or always in the action, there are eyeglass frames for every activity out there.
3. Shape of your face
We are mentioning this once again just because it is a very important thing to have in mind when browsing for the right pair of frames.
• Round Face: Eyeglass frames that are square or rectangular tend to be wider than a round face. This quality can enhance your face by making it appear slimmer and longer, adding balance to your round features.
Frames to Avoid: Rimless frames, round frames, and small frames will accentuate the roundness, making your round face look even rounder.
• Oval Face: Frames that suit an oval face have a strong bridge, are wider than the broadest part of the face and are geometric in shape.
Frames to Avoid: Eyeglasses that are overlarge and cover up more than half of your face will throw off the natural balance and symmetry of the oval face.
• Square Face: Eyeglasses that soften the angularity and sit high on the bridge of the nose look best on square faces. Oval or round eyeglasses will balance and add a thinner appearance to the angles of a square face.
Frames to Avoid: Angular and boxy eyeglass frames will sharpen and draw attention to your angular features, making a square face appear bulky.
• Diamond Face: Play up a narrow forehead and chin with eyeglass frames what sweep up or are wider than the cheekbones, such as cat eye glasses and oval frames. These frames will accentuate your cheekbones and delicate features.
Frames to Avoid: Boxy and narrow frames will accentuate the width of your cheeks, drawing attention to your narrow features rather than enhancing them.
• Heart-Shaped Face: Frames that balance the width of the forehead with the narrowness of the chin are ideal. Eyeglasses with low-set temples and bottom heavy frame lines will add width to that narrower part of your face. Round eyeglasses or square eyeglasses with curved edges will help draw attention away from a broad, high forehead.
Frames to Avoid: Steer clear of any style or color of frames that draws attention to the forehead. This includes frames with decorative temples or embellished tops.
4. Color Believe it or not, your skin tone matters when choosing eyeglass frames! More important than hair color and more decisive than eye color, skin tone sets the tone for high fashion frames.
Warm Skin Tones
If you have a yellow, bronze, or golden cast to your skin, you have a warm complexion. Stay away from contrasting colors such as pastels. White and black frames are not flattering either. Instead, the best frame colors for you are light tortoise, brown shades such as gold or honey, beige, and olive green.
Cool Skin Tones
If your skin has pink or blue undertones, you have a cool complexion. Avoid colors that wash you out and instead reach for frames that are silver, black, dark tortoise, pink, purple, blue, mauve, and gray.
Are Eyeglass Frames Different From Sunglass Frames?
Technically, the difference isn’t that great, but there is, of course, a slight difference between these two types of frames.
Eyeglasses Although some people like to wear eyeglasses for fashion, their main purpose is to correct vision problems. The lenses of prescription eyeglasses, whether they’re concave, convex, cylindrical, or none of the above, are different from sunglass lenses. This is why eyeglass frames need to be different from sunglass frames. The eyeglass lenses can be heavier and thus the need for special types of frames. Additionally, prescription eyeglasses are worn by people who need clear vision and not for the sake of aesthetics. There is always an option of adding photosensitive coating to your eyeglasses so that there is no need to constantly change your eyeglasses with sunglasses – which can be a real hassle. When this is added, the frames you chose for your eyeglasses can also be your sunglasses!
Shop Women's Eyeglasses
Sunglasses are worn by everyone to protect their eyes from rays of sun or intense light and they aren’t necessarily used for visions correction purposes like eyeglasses (even though, there are sunglasses that have a prescription). Because of this, sunglasses manufacturers have more freedom in making different types of sunglass frames, from quirky to traditional. They have been highly popular because of their versatile designs. There are numerous designs, colors of lenses, and even some crazy designs. In a nutshell, they are something that one must definitely have in their personal collection. Sunglasses are also used to enhance an individual's style, apart from being used as an eye protection gadget.
How We Choose Our Best Eyeglass Frames
Eyeglasses have become very popular in the last couple of years, they are everywhere and consumers have plenty of buying options. For our purposes, selecting what we think are the best eyeglass frames for older women entailed many factors – from the size of the frames, to the purpose, style, and price.
We also wanted to include a variety of styles, including traditional and adventurous ones. Our goal was to include something that works for every older lady. We also paid close attention to the reviews of consumers, whose overall feedback provides the kind of information that’s otherwise hard to find.
What matters most is your own preference and whether or not you feel comfortable with a certain pair, just because you’ve grown older doesn’t mean that suddenly you can’t be adventurous and revamp your look. Eyeglass frames for older women aren’t hard to find. To find the perfect pair, all you need to know is where to look. Forget about what’s ‘appropriate’ for your age, it’s all about how you feel when wearing what you love! We hope we contributed at least a bit in helping you make a decision.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: